The Catalan club announced the sack of former coach, Quique Satien on Monday following the humiliating 8-2 loss to Bayern in the UEFA Champions league quarterfinal last week.
The loss has prompted massive changes in managerial and board room positions at the club, hence the appointment of Koeman as the new club coach and manager.
The Dutchman has left his post in charge of the Netherlands national team to takeover the Camp Nou hot seat. His contract will last till 2022.
Barca on Wednesday August 19, released an official statement on their website confirming the news, which reads:
“FC Barcelona and Ronald Koeman have reached an agreement for the Dutchman to take over as first-team coach until 30 June 2022”
“The Blaugrana legend, hero of Wembley, the man who handed Barca their first-ever victory in the European Cup returns to Camp Nou.
“This time, however, he will do so as coach as the Dutchman brings more than 20 years of experience as a manager and eight trophies on his CV.
“Ronald Koeman comes to FC Barcelona after coaching in the Premier League, La Liga, the Dutch league, the Portuguese league and also on the international stage with the Netherlands.”
Koeman reacting on Wednesday to his appointment said;
“It was an honor to be the national coach of the Netherlands,” said 57-year-old. “For the past two and a half years I have done everything I can to achieve successes with Oranje.
“I look back with pride on what we have achieved together in that period. The Dutch national team has a bright future, I am convinced of that.
“Everyone knows that Barcelona is my dream club. It feels very special to me to be able to become a coach there.”