A year ago to the day, Fury completed his fairytale comeback by producing a performance for the ages by beating Wilder in the seventh round in Las Vegas.
The triumph marked his rise back to the top of boxing, and a year on, the victory clearly still holds a very special place in his heart as he gets ready to finally seal his £200million mega-fight with Anthony Joshua.
On Monday the Gypsy King uploaded a celebratory video on his Instagram page of him dominating his previously undefeated opponent in America.
Alongside various clips of him knocking Wilder to the floor and having his opponent firmly on the ropes, Fury captioned his post – which is played to Patsy Cline’s tune of ‘Crazy’: ‘One year ago today I did exactly what I said I would do to the big Dosser Deontay.’
Following the pair’s initial draw in 2018, Fury produced his most destructive of performance to date to end Wilder’s five-year reign as WBC heavyweight world champion on February 22 last year.
The Brit pummelled his rival in a way few ever would have imagined, flooring him in both the third and fifth rounds before eventually the bout was stopped in the seventh as Fury continued to torment Wilder.
Ahead of their rematch, Fury was bullish in his own ability to overcome Wilder – warning him that he had already taken the American’s best punches, having climbed back off the canvas in rounds nine and 12 after being knocked down by his rival.
It was a statement victory from Fury, which has paved way for a unification bout with British rival Joshua.
The pair are now on the brink of finalising a £200m blockbuster fight – a showdown that every boxing fan is desperate to see.
Sportsmail recently reported that the fight was on the verge of being signed off and this has since been backed up by Fury’s US promoter, Bob Arum, last week.
Arum told talkSPORT: ‘The negotiations have been pleasant, it’s proceeding like every big fight does.
‘We made changes, they accept some, they send it back, back and forth. And all I can say is that the issues are gradually dwindling.
‘That’s what you wanna do in this type of situation, you wanna diminish the number of issues and now the number of issues is less than a handful, so I am very optimistic that this is going to go over the line.’
The showdown should be given a major boost when an Oleksandr Usyk-shaped stumbling block is removed.
The charismatic Ukrainian is the mandatory challenger for Joshua’s WBO heavyweight title and his desire to compete for the belt had threatened to scupper plans for AJ to finally face Tyson Fury.
However, it appears that Usyk is now just weeks away from having an alternative fight with Joe Joyce confirmed, which would allow Joshua to agree the finer details of his clash with the Gypsy King.